East opens strong behind Edwards
- Friday’s south-central Kansas football box scores (Sept. 20)
- Joanna Chadwick's VarsityKansas.com 2-Minute Drill (9-6-13)
- Week 1 in football as it happened via Twitter
- West’s offense rolls past South
- Week 1 Roundup: Trio leads Andover Central to win in opener
- Clearwater manages to avoid Eisenhower surprise
- Bob Lutz: Football is king in Derby
- Derby falls in battle of top-ranked teams
- How ranked teams fared Friday (Sept. 6)
- Fridays Wichita-area box scores (Sept. 6)
- Defending 5A champ Carroll rolls to 14th straight win
- Andale holds off Collegiate for Division IV victory
- Slow start doesn’t faze Maize
- Area high school football standings (Sept. 7)
- Fridays Kansas high school football scores (Sept. 6)
East High felt it had something to prove after being picked to finish sixth in the City League preseason poll.
We had a bad taste in our mouth, because (last season) we beat West and Kapaun (Mount Carmel), said junior Willie Edwards, who scored two East touchdowns in a 33-7 victory Friday night over North at Heights.
The Blue Aces came out punching, scoring touchdowns on their first three drives, and those three quick strikes paved the way.
Not the kind of reception North coach Joe Belden wanted to see on his return to the sidelines after an eight-year break.
Yeah, thats a pretty tough welcome, Belden said.
East coach Brian Byers, on the other hand, said his team wanted to take the upper hand early.
I thought we took a good step (Friday), he said. We played physical, which was something we wanted to do.
Meanwhile, North couldnt muster much on offense in the first half. The Redskins (0-1, 0-1) couldnt sustain a drive, reaching the East 23 and as far as the East 15 before turning the ball over on downs.
Edwards, one of many running backs East uses, dealt North a crushing blow in the second half by intercepting a Joshua Bryan pass and returning it 33 yards for a score, then six minutes later, he took a North punt and raced down the right sideline 45 yards for the Blue Aces final touchdown.
On the interception, Bryan lobbed a pass downfield, and Edwards was right there to pick it off and run it in and credited some good blocks to get him past the Redskins.
I saw it, I broke on it, and as soon as I caught it, it was an open lane and I just ran as fast as I could, he said.
The punt was a challenge, he said.
It was low I barely caught it but it all starts with my teammates, Edwards said. Its easy when youve got blockers in front of you.
Next Friday, the Blue Aces will get another shot at West. Another chance to prove the naysayers wrong?
Were just going to continue to work hard in practice and show people why they were wrong, Edwards said.
E C. Brown 3 run (kick failed)
E Burnett 77 run (run failed)
E McGarrity 10 pass from Schillings (T. Thomas kick)
E Edwards 33 interception return (T. Thomas kick)
E Edwards 45 punt return (T. Thomas kick)
N Robinson 5 run (Black kick)
Rushing East, Burnett 5-111, D. Thomas 11-62, Edwards 6-4, C. Brown 1-3, Kelly 2-(-6). North, Robinson 12-95, Bernard 10-22, Elliott 5-20, Stephens 1-17, Tinoco 2-8, Childress 2-(-2), Bryan 5-(-12),
Passing East, Schillings 1-6-0-10. North, Bryan 2-9-1-25.
Receiving East: McGarrity 1-10. North: Tinoco 1-14, Bernard 1-11.