6A girls soccer: Maize bounces back, beats Northwest for third
- 4-1A soccer: Trinity Academy falls in final to Topeka Hayden
- 5A girls soccer: Carroll wins by shutout again
- 6A girls soccer: Northwest, Maize both tumble
- 5A girls soccer: Aquinas defeats Carroll
- 4-1A girls soccer: Trinity advances in shootout
- Saturdays state championship scoreboard
- Gallery: State Soccer Championship Day 2
- Gallery: State Soccer Championship Day 1
OLATHE Over pizza at the Comfort Suites on Friday night, Maize’s girls soccer players decided they still had plenty to play for.
Earlier that day, Maize dropped its first game, a 7-0 loss against Blue Valley West in the Class 6A semifinals. In less than 24 hours, though, the Eagles rallied convincingly for a 4-0 win Saturday against Northwest in the third-place game.
“Nobody wants to take fourth place,” Maize coach Jay Holmes said. “You don’t get the trophy for the trophy cabinet, so there’s a lot to play for.”
Whitney Lucas got Maize started, burying a goal from a cross seven minutes into the game. That put Northwest under the gun right away.
“That just really set the tone for the game,” Lucas said.
Madison Holmes scored three minutes later, and Lucas closed out the game with two more goals. The Eagles dominated possession, working the ball around, creating and then taking advantage of holes in the defense.
“We regrouped very well,” Lucas said. “I’m proud of us. I mean, what more could you ask for?”
Northwest had opportunities — an open-net shot that just missed by Rachael Schoonover and a breakaway by Renee Gillespie — but the Grizzlies couldn’t punch the ball in.
Olathe East defeated Blue Valley West 5-4 in overtime in the championship game.
Maize 4, Northwest 0
First half – Maize, Lucas, Holmes. Second half – Maize, Lucas, Lucas.