2011-12 basketball preview: Derby Panthers
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Wichita Heights Falcons
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Wichita East Blue Aces
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Goddard Lions
- Other area high school basketball capsules
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Wichita Northwest Grizzlies
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Trinity Academy Knights
- 2011-12 Basketball preview: Circle Thunderbirds
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Clearwater Indians
- 2011-12 Basketball preview: Maize South Mavericks
- 2011-12 Basketball Preview: Newton Railers
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Cheney Cardinals
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Kapaun Mount Carmel Crusaders
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Wichita West Pioneers
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Augusta Orioles
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Wichita South Titans
- 2011-12 Basketball Preview: Wichita Southeast Buffaloes
- 2011-12 Basketball Preview: Goddard Eisenhower Tigers
- 2011-12 Basketball Preview: Bishop Carroll Eagles
- 2011-12 Basketball preview: Andover Central
- 2011 Basketball Preview: Maize Eagles
- 2011 Basketball Preview: North Redskins
- Heights begins rare quest for hoops dynasty
- 2011-12 Basketball Preview: Independent Panthers
- 2011-12 Basketball Preview: Mulvane Wildcats
- 2011-12 Basketball Preview: El Dorado Wildcats
- 2011-12 Basketball Preview: Garden Plain Owls
- 2011-12 basketball preview: Collegiate Spartans
- Gallery: 2011-12 High school basketball preview
40-86 in six seasons
G, Kyler Steadman, 6-3, Sr.
G, Tyler Chambers, 6-4, Jr.
F, Zac Osborn, 6-4, Jr.
F, Josiah Ray, 6-6, Jr.
G, Taylor Scheiber, 6-0, Jr.
G, Garrett Dinsmore, 6-0, Sr.
Derby (8-13) has good size and will be led by senior guard Steadman (12 points).
To take advantage of the size, "We're trying to emphasize playing inside out," Flory said, an approach that will complement the team's penchant for running. "These guys like to get the ball up the floor — they were well-schooled in that before we got here."
Flory is in his first year at Derby after six seasons at Valley Center. He's impressed by Derby's talent. "If we can get guys to understand what it means to be a great teammate... we have the talent here to be pretty good."
Flory said Scheiber is sidelined indefinitely with back problems, a blow to the team's starting five. "The good thing is we've got some guys behind him who can play," Flory said.
13-49 in three seasons
F, Michaela Liebst, 5-9, Sr.
F, Hannah Jimenez, 5-8, Sr.
C, Alyxis Bowens, 6-0, Jr.
G, Shelby Smith, 5-7, Sr.
G, Kennedy Long, 5-8, Jr.
F, Bailey Hansen, 5-8, Jr.
F, Kim Carbonell, 6-0, Jr.
G, Madison Greenwood, 5-7, So.
Derby (0-21) hopes last season's trials were the foundation for success this season. All five starters return, with more talent coming off the bench.
"It's been really nice having the experience at practice," Fuller said. "We're a lot further along this year. That's due to our upperclassmen stepping up and leading. They worked hard in the offseason and are ready to go."
Liebst (9 points, 6.3 rebounds) and Bowens (6.5 points, 7.7 rebounds) are the top returning scorers. Liebst can score inside, and has a mid-range game as well. Point guard Smith has played varsity since her freshman season and is a solid defender. Fuller is hoping Smith supplies more offense.
_ Tom Seals
6—Maize; 9— at Hutchinson; 13— at Eisenhower; 16— at Campus.
3—Newton; 6— at Salina Central; 7— Southeast (at Koch Arena); 10— Salina South; 17— Andover Central (G); 19-21— at McPherson tournament (B); 24— Andover (B); 26-28— at Topeka tournament (G); 31— at McPherson.
3—Salina Central; 4— Garden City; 7— at Newton; 10— at Maize; 14— Campus; 17— Hutchinson; 24— at Salina South.